Hero is a full-service, through-the-line strategic marketing agency with expertise that ranges from traditional advertising to the latest developments in the digital world. We offer a depth and breadth of business, marketing and technology services which are arguably unmatched by even our largest competitors. We exist to create more meaningful relationships –- and we do it through the business.
We’re serious about the business of creativity and we do more than just come up with ideas. We fight for them. Fight for them to live beyond the page or screen they appear on. Beyond their 30 second media slot and past the half hour the promoters were at the activation.
This position has a dual function covering bookkeeping functions and the related administration duties for the company and its related entities.
The bookkeeping function is responsible for all related bank transactions and financial transactions via the accounting software system (Pastel). The creation of financial transactions includes the recording and reconciliation of original bank transactions and the posting of the relevant accounting journals to the accounting software system. The bookkeeper also reconciles all related accounts to ensure their accuracy.
Required skills & competencies:
- A minimum of 3 years’ bookkeeping experience in a commercial environment.
- A minimum Certificate / Diploma in Bookkeeping.
- Preferred Bachelor of Commerce Degree with Accounting or studying towards a BComm Degree.
- Solid knowledge of bookkeeping and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Strong skills using and understanding the flow of transactions in an integrated and automated accounting software system.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a working knowledge of the Sage Pastel accounting software system including Sage Payroll and ESS leave system.
- Solid Excel skills at an intermediate level.
- Knowledge of workflow management software systems would be an advantage (preferably Magnetic)
- Be a team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate dedication / reliability to get the job done.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise extreme discretion.
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills, and high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet all deadlines.
- Record bank transactions on a continuous basis for all entities
- Pay supplier invoices on a weekly basis
- Monthly salary payments – ensure that all employees are paid correctly and timeously
- Pay any debt as it is due for payment
- Assist Head of Finance by monitoring the debt levels, including bank overdraft, and compliance with debt covenants.
- Record cash receipts and make bank deposits
- Allocate all bank receipts and payments to the related supplier and customer accounts
- Review customer and supplier age analysis and resolve any unallocated items
- Conduct a monthly reconciliation of every bank account for each entity, including investment accounts
- Liaise with the bank regarding all transaction-related queries
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy
- Record monthly accounting journals relating to petty cash, credit cards, related party loan accounts, payroll and sundry financial adjustments as and when required
- Reconcile monthly related party loan accounts between various entities
- Generate monthly debit order supplier invoices in the workflow management software system (Magnetic)
- Review all jobs awaiting closure on Magnetic and to make sure that all related TÍ’s and SI’s are loaded before closing the job on Magnetic
- Assisting the Head of Finance in assembling information for external auditors for the annual independent review and annual financial statements
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Comply with all legislative reporting requirements
- Reconcile Sage payroll system to Pastel accounting system on a monthly basis
- Provide clerical and administrative support to management as requested
- Review and ensure accuracy of approved advances, travel and overtime claims before processing it for payment
- Responsible for the coordination between payroll and human resources, to ensure proper flow and maintenance of employee data
- Maintain employee records (including paper employee record files); ensure that employee changes are entered and communicated correctly to the outsourced accountant on a timely basis; review changes for proper authorization
- Communicate payroll changes to the HR Manager and Financial Director timeously
- Assisting external accountants with preparation and submission of The Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act (COIDA) documents
- Assisting with the preparation and submission of the Employment Equity return
- Liaising with external financial consultants (Incresco) with regards to all medical aid (Discovery) deductions