South Africa is currently wasting the potential of a generation of young people. It’s time to shift gears.
Youth Capital (https://youthcapital.co.za/) aims to become a dynamic national campaign; driving solutions for youth employment by fusing together young people’s perspectives and rich evidence into a powerful agenda of action. While the campaign is grounded in an engaged young constituency, it must land with a diverse set of stakeholders to gain traction.
Currently incubated by the DG Murray Trust (www.dgmt.co.za), Youth Capital is looking for a dynamic individual to join the team as a Content and Communications Manager.
The ideal candidate must be able to conceptualise and execute a clear communications strategy driving campaign objectives through diverse platforms such as digital, print and audio-visual media. Given the nature of the work, the Communications and Content Manager must be comfortable working with technical and data-heavy information, and have the necessary skills to transform it into accessible and interesting communications products for a variety of channels and audiences.
Key responsibilities will include:
• Designing and managing the overall communications strategy for Youth Capital – including the strategy to communicate with the young constituency as well as stakeholders in the policy, public, and civil society sectors.
• Designing the overall strategy on how to engage with and build a network of young people.
• Working with the Project Lead and Network Mobiliser to develop products, including:
• Concept notes, policy and legislative commentary, an annual State of Youth publication and newsletters;
• Working with the Project Lead and Network Mobiliser to create content for public and social media channels, including:
• Op-eds, blog posts and articles; and
• Tweets, Facebook posts, Instagram posts;
A relevant degree or diploma – such as one in journalism, political studies or anthropology. Outstanding English writing and verbal communication skills; as well as copy editing, proofreading and copywriting skills.
At least 3 years of relevant experience in a Communications Strategy Management and/or Content Creation role.
Excellent time management skills and an ability to self-manage and work towards deadlines.
An extremely good eye for detail.
Proven experience as a strong writer and the ability to work across media platforms.
Skills in interpreting data, framing and presenting arguments.
The ability to apply research insights and knowledge of behaviour change and communication theory to a practical implementation plan.
Passion for advocacy work in the social sector.
An affinity for youth development.
Knowledge of the South African media landscape would be an advantage.
Please note this is a one year full time contract position.