Previously disadvantaged candidates will be given preference.
A superb opening has become available for a mid-weight Customer Insights Manager at one of South Africa’s top retail brands, based in Cape Town. We’re looking for that special someone who is aligned with the brand’s vision to become their customers’ favourite retail brand. In this exciting role you will utilise analytical solutions within Customer Insights and Analytics team to derive customer insights that support strategic and tactical decision making in the organisation. The ultimate purpose of the role is to provide understanding of the customer in the retail and broader market, enabling the business to make data driven strategic decisions. You will track surface and size opportunities for growth. Wonderful opportunity!
- Support delivery of the retail/merchandising planning processes and buying cycles, providing robust, relevant and actionable customer insights, recommendations and commercial opportunities.
- Develop market place and competitor insights that can be used to drive strategic imperatives. Stay abreast of global retail and customer trends and advise on their influence on our target consumer
- Empower the business in their strategy and decision-making by providing the business with data driven insights and commercial opportunities to support an optimised customer experience.
- Manage & execute strategic & ad hoc research studies and develop and manage relationships directly with research service providers.
- Provide timeous, strategic and operational reporting, interpretation and consultancy into all Business units i.e. Foods categories, C&GM, Buying Groups and Loyalty Brand Managers.
- New initiatives – work closely with fast-reaction project teams to support assessment of customer opportunities.
- Business cases – support the development of robust business cases with customer / marketplace analysis to highlight commercial opportunities and implications as input into product development design, buying and selling plan optimisations and course correction activities.
- Champion the development of new methodologies and approaches that enhance the understanding of the customer, thereby adding the customer dimension to business decision making.
- Develop, implement and maintain a robust macro and micro customer segmentation model and ensure it is aligned; relevant and embedded in business plans to best deliver to business needs.
- Work with external consultants to seamlessly develop new methodologies that deliver improved customer insights to stakeholders, seeking opportunities for knowledge transfer, democratisation of information and sharing wherever possible.
- Work closely with the customer analysts to roll out dynamic dashboards and identify opportunities to ‘productionalise’ ad-hoc analysis requirements to minimise manual resource overhead.
- Proactively prioritise stakeholder delivery to that which will make biggest impact to the brand’s objectives and KPI’s.
- Develop and mentor Customer research and integration specialists to successfully handover and operationalise existing and new customer analysis & research methodologies/IP.
- Work closely with the broader Customer Insights and Analytics team to ensure accuracy and robustness of source data systems, and suitability of variables for analytical purpose.
- Accountable for all scorecard customer measures, their accuracy and interpretation – set annual targets in line with business strategic direction.
- Dashboards: Recommend key customer measures that can be tracked, and support report rollout to consistently report on these, driven in an agile manner aligned to business use.
- Report monthly on the strategic customer shifts and SWOT as regards to competitors’ customer strategies and market share.
The successful candidate must have/be:
- A Business Marketing/Statistics or a similar 3 to 4 years (Hons) degree.
- 6 to 10 years’ experience in analysis or consultancy experience in retail sector or relevant organisation
- Experience in managing and leading a team
- Exceeds customer’s expectations – quality and service orientated, attentive to needs of customers and other stakeholders
- Authenticity – expresses views honestly and in accordance with what I believe in
- Creativity and innovation – thinks beyond the current boundaries and implements innovative ideas
- Energetic and resilient – sustains energy, motivation and resilience in times of stress
- Evidence based thinking – identifies core issues by examining evidence gathered from relevant sources
- Outcome-focused – works efficiently to deliver outcome focused targets
- Logical analysis – reaches valid conclusions using clear rationale and logic
- Ability to translate large volumes of data into simple structured data descriptors and processes
- Accountability and ownership – takes personal responsibility for outcomes and is accountable for commitments
- Balanced analytical and creative thinking style
- Strong presentation skills – articulate thoughts and ideas clearly, ability to explain complex topics & concepts to senior stakeholders simply and clearly
- Ability to translate large volumes of data into simple insights that drive seamless customer engagement and experience
- Decisive and tough minded – firm and decisive, willing to make unpopular decisions where necessary
- Emotional competence – able to recognise and deal sensitively with emotional issues
- Challenges the status quo – constructively question the way things are being done and is a catalyst for change
- Empowering people – empower others by giving them encouragement, resources and authority
- Motivating and inspiring – inspire others and has an in-depth understanding of what motivates people, able to inspire and motivate peers
- Strong stakeholder management skills – good influencing and negotiation skills
- Leveraging Diversity – values differences and leverage diversity in skills, attitudes and ideas
- Experience in data mining and working with large databases
- Experience in a large business environment
- Strong analytical skills and knowledge of analysing information and interpreting/translating it into non-technical, commercial recommendations
- Ability to turn data into actionable intelligence and insights
- SAS or SQL proficient
- QlikView or other data visualisation software
- Advanced MS Excel and MS PowerPoint skills
- Knowledge of database segmentation
- Business acumen: Proven understanding of business environments and processes
- Ability to apply techniques in a practical way within a business environment
- Excellent communications skills: ability to interact effectively with colleagues at all levels of the organisation
- High attention to detail
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Problem solving ability
- Process thinking ability
- Conceptual ability
JOB REFERENCE CODE: #Viv2759