Preference will be given to previously disadvantaged candidates.
A superb opportunity has become available for a passionate, mid-senior Group Account Director at a dynamic Marketing agency in Johannesburg. We’re looking for someone with solid TTL experience, creativity and great people skills. In this exciting role you would be responsible for managing a great portfolio of business. The role reports directly to the MD. As Group Account Director, you will be the leader of the Account Management team and he primary manager of all the accounts. As such, it is your responsibility to ensure the quality of the agency’s product, particularly strategically and creatively, and for inspiring the highest standards in other team members. You’ll be called on to contribute to the successful and profitable stewardship of clients’ brands. We’re looking for someone who is an active and enthusiastic advocate of brand stewardship, in theory, and in practice. This means both completing the procedural sides of brand stewardship and living and breathing the philosophy of stewarding each brand worked on. You’ll need to possess the capability to build excellent relationships with clients, extending into social situations, and with all members of the agency team to make this role yours. Your leadership role on your business should also contribute to the department in a positive manner: by setting an example of best-practice account management skills. If you’re hands on and have the expertise to motivate, manage and lead, we want to hear from you!
- Has a deep understanding of the client’s business and of the key broader factors and trends shaping their markets and categories.
- Looks for opportunities to engage in broader business dialogue with clients.
- Is the client’s first point of contact on all main strategic, creative and resource issues
- Is the business director’s first port of call on all questions relating to the business
- Builds strong and enduring relationships with clients, professionally and socially, particularly at the marketing manager or equivalent level.
- Regularly seeks out ways to add value to the client/agency relationship (e.g. joint speaking appearances at conferences; effecting introductions to other members of agency management; agency presentations on broader industry issues).
- Is responsible for setting the creative context of the business: knowing what type of advertising the brand needs and understanding what the client thinks he/she wants, if these differ.
- Is the creative department’s most senior contact on a day-to-day basis, providing an overall vision and direction for the creative work and ensuring it is set in the correct business context.
- Is an excellent judge of creative work and is willing and able to argue a case in any client/agency forum.
- Understands how best to present the agency’s work in a client forum to best effect.
- Keeps the executive creative director and creative group heads apprised of all relevant client/account issues.
- Contributes to the writing of business plans for the account.
- Is responsible for maximising the account’s billings and/or income and for seeking out additional income opportunities.
- Contribute to the good financial management of the business, improving profitability wherever possible, monitoring all billing procedures carried out by the account manager/executive, alerting the business director promptly to any likely changes to billing and income, any potential write-offs, etc.
- Ensures that timesheets are always up to date and given to Finance timeously.
- Is responsible for ensuring appropriate timescales on all major productions.
- Is responsible for ensuring the right resource is allocated to the business in this area.
- Is responsible for ensuring that the client understands the importance of having enough time for creative development.
- Forms a strong and enduring relationship with his/her planner on the business.
- In tandem with the planner, develops the most insightful advertising strategies and sharpest creative briefs possible.
- Oversees the team’s media output – carries out quality control and effective resource management.
- Keeps abreast of all developments in areas of media and fosters the use of best practice – in media research, planning/buying tools, and methodologies etc.
- Keeps the media director apprised of relevant client/account issues.
- Is ultimately responsible for the smooth running of the account – operationally, creatively and financially – and is answerable on these points to the Client and to the Business Director.
- Creates the best possible environment in which to produce the best possible work.
- Is responsible for ensuring that his/her teams have the right time and resources to deliver this, within the client’s time frame.
- Builds the respect and loyal commitment of team members, of the department and of the agency as a whole.
- Effectively manages and coaches the more junior members of the Account Management team (AM’s, AE’s) sensitively, positively and pro-actively.
- Delegates effectively and appropriately – upwards to the Business Director, as well as downwards, and to other departments.
- Involves the business director appropriately on all relevant issues: status of the business, brand health, creative projects, timings, etc.
The successful candidate must have/be:
- Postgraduate Degree or National Diploma, majoring in Communication, Marketing, Advertising or other related Business Sciences
- 5 – 10 years Account Management experience within an ad agency environment imperative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and speed of response
- Proficiency in MS PowerPoint, Excel, Word
- Strong presentation and negotiation skills
- Excellent time management and communication of work completed/ barriers/solution
- Strong Account and Project Management experience
- Able to handle all aspects of the account and the successful management thereof
- Strong client interaction and stakeholder management
- Able to write briefs, interpret them successfully and deliver upon the client’s request
- Ensure all time-frames and deadlines are met and adhered to
- Ensure that budgets vs. expenditure for clients are met
- Must be well-spoken, speak and write English well
- Proven experience, stable track record and contactable references – a must
- Strong financial and budgetary management experience – mandatory
- Ability to manage, motivate and inspire the team that reports into you
- Financial and budget control ability
- Marketing knowledge and experience
- Creative interpretation skills
- Creative and strategic thinking
- Analytical and intellectual depth
- Time management skills
- A committed team player
- Strong leadership skills and outstanding people management skills
- Strong service orientation.
Should you not receive a response within two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
JOB REFERENCE CODE: #Mich1320