Surf’s up and the breaks are beautiful if you’re a passionate surfer who just happens to be a skilled wordsmith off the board! We have a once in a lifetime opportunity for a junior to mid-weight Journalist/Content Creator/Editor and Surfer at a leading surf magazine based in Durban. We’re looking for someone who is as stoked to be writing about surfing as they are about surfing; a truly skilled writer. Yes, this position calls for a unique skillset but it offers huge growth and lots of exciting travel opportunities (local and global) and it is that chance you dream of to really live your passion. The ideal candidate is up-to-date with surf culture and the world of competitive surfing. The role is predominantly in the online space, but you will also write for print (you don’t need print experience, but must have online writing experience). If you have the ability to edit video content, that’s a big plus but so is a willingness to learn to do so if you don’t have the skills yet. This is a primo position; a dream job for a young and talented creative with a love for surfing. We are looking for someone with ‘a voice’ who can express themselves freely, enjoyably and informatively around all aspects of the surfing lifestyle. It’s also a direct conduit to the editorship of the magazine and its other platforms over time. Amped? Prove it by submitting a surf piece when you apply so we can experience your surf passion for ourselves.
The successful candidate must have/be :
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Journalism/Communications – essential
- A passionate surfer – non-negotiable
- A fantastic writer
- All-round creative (with writing as the central skill)
- Love, live and breathe surf culture and be up to speed with developments in both global and local surfing. Some competitive experience at regional, provincial or national level would be a ‘nice to have.’
- Basic copy editing and management skills.
- Able to run an online budget.
- Able to commission writers and photographers and manage their workflows.
- Able to track online analytics and develop strategies for growth.
- An interest in surf photography and videography. Basic video editing skills would be a huge plus. Or at least an interest and willingness to learn.
- Enthusiastic, hard-working and honest – essential
Please submit a Surf piece on application and motivate your passion for Surfing.
Should you not receive a response within one week, please consider your application unsuccessful.
JOB REFERENCE CODE: #Tam264