We have an absolutely superb opportunity for a media and communications guru to take on the role of Newsroom Head at a well-established strategic Communications, Marketing and PR consultancy based in Cape Town. At its core this job is focused on driving media strategy for clients and to oversee a newsroom team of 2 to secure ongoing top tier coverage to meet and exceed client expectation, agency standards and industry benchmarks. Additionally, the role calls for you to generate media coverage exclusively. In light of this we are looking for someone who has in-depth knowledge of Media, solid personal networks with journalists and can negotiate coverage in the online, broadcast and television space. You will be tasked with negotiating and securing coverage for media relations clients. This position would suit a journalist or senior PR specialist; someone who can generate angles and story ideas and successfully pitch them. Encompassing Strategy, planning, content generation, media relations (online, print, broadcast), Social & Digital Media, press events and the management of your team, your time and finance. If you are strategically minded, possess leadership and decision making abilities we want to hear from you. If you have great judgement, planning and organising skills, are a problem solving innovator who is ace at communications, get in touch!
The successful candidates must have/be:
- Degree or equivalent in Journalism / PR/ Communications/ Publishing
- 10-15 years Agency experience or experience within a media environment
- At least 5 years with team management capacity of 2 or more people.
- Ability to work at a fast past across clients – staggering the content to press.
- Strong, long-lasting relationships with media across a wide variety of industries and on all channels and platforms.
- Exceptional writing skills, top-notch editing skills.
- Able to inspire team members
- Commitment to mentoring junior staff
- Excellent organisational skills
- Positive, collaborative team player
- Ability to think strategically and provide input at highest account level.
- Able to display insight and understanding of client’s business and appropriately match solutions that the Agency can offer in the media space.
- Able to lead by example with the ability to motivate, guide and develop junior team members.
- Able to set objectives and standards (for clients and Agency) and work within team to achieve same.
- Able to recognise progress of junior team members.
- Able to participate in team work in a constructive, positive and professional manner at all times. Working with all colleagues – senior and junior alike when called upon to do so.
- Ability to inspire confidence of clients to lead and grow accounts.
- Consideration for all courses of action and make decisions independently.
- Consideration for impact of decisions and know when to escalate decisions to MD.
- Ability to prioritise effectively and ensure team works accordingly.
- Ability to multi-task and balance multiple projects at once.
- Train team on time management.
- Make sure resources and equipment is matched effectively.
- Ensure that reporting structures and reporting channels are adhered to.
- Accurately identify problem areas and propose solutions that are realistic and effective and result in corrective action.
- Ability to work under pressure, deliver work on tight deadlines.
- Unwavering support for the team during high pressure or crisis situations for clients or the Agency.
- Able to apply and improve specialist knowledge required to accomplish the job.
- Ideas for new business or Agency to the table for discussion with management team Ability to work to transfer knowledge and skills to junior team members.
- Communicates clearly and concisely.
- Systematic in approach to communication and conveying ideas or concepts to team. Excellent presentation skills: ability to talk/present confidently.
Should you not receive a response within one week, please consider your application unsuccessful.
JOB REFERENCE CODE: #Tam252