We’re looking for a fast-learning and ownership-taking designer to shape the interface and the experience of the Fluent Forever app, crafting everything from the overall design language to detailed UI to motion/animation and sounds. As we grow, you’ll also be helping to design our website and marketing campaigns to ensure that Forever Fluent has a seamless visual presence and experience across platforms. You should have experience with designing applications that span devices and platforms and a passion for creating an engaging learning experience that can help users grow proficiency and confidence in a foreign language. Because Fluent Forever already has a large user base you’ll be able to test with users immediately and work with them to create the best possible product. We’re happy to have you work with whatever tools you’re most comfortable with: Marvel, Proto.io, Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Invision, it’s up to you and the rest of our team to define how we design and build together.
If you’re a good fit for our team, then the following should sound exciting and awesome, rather than panic-inducing and terrible:
- You are able to work from home, communicating and collaborating with our international team.
- You have excellent English language skills, both written and spoken.
- You know how to own your areas of responsibility, to keep the team consistently updated with your status, and to be flexible enough to adapt to new needs as they arise.
- We are a growing and rapidly changing company, and as a result, your role will grow and change rapidly as well. We want you to grow into helping to own the experience of Fluent Forever.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What we provide you:
- Health care (for U.S. residents)
- Profit Sharing
- Equity-based compensation
- Generous vacation policy
- Flexible work hours
- A laptop and appropriate software
- Annual equipment budget
- Mentoring and plentiful career growth opportunities
- A portfolio demonstrating proficiency in designing mobile applications, both the visual look and feel as well as usable interfaces, user experience, and application flow (student or self-initiated projects are great).
- The ability to create specific graphical assets, patterns and icons, as well as style guides for a development team to consume.
- Interest in, understanding of, and empathy for the language-learning experience.
- Experience gathering and processing feedback from users in iterative design sprints.
- The ability to prepare and present designs for business and development teams.
Nice to have:
- Experience learning a second (or third or fourth) language as an adult
- Experience designing for educational contexts
- Experience interviewing users and preparing requirements
- Familiarity with usability and usability testing
- AfterEffects or other motion graphics tools
- Audition or other audio editing tools
- Prototyping tools like Marvel, Invision, framer.js, Origami
- CSS or JS animation libraries (2.js, Paper.js, Anime.js, etc)
$48k – $55k/year and stock options depending on experience and fit
Salary: R60 - 80 000