A fabulous opportunity has opened up for a Senior Gallery Manager at a pioneering, world-class high-end gallery based in Cape Town. This exciting role will see you working with the founders to determine the ongoing strategy and trajectory of the collectable design category from the African continent. Promoting and building the Gallery in existing and new markets while stimulating and promoting the South African design industry are key functions of the position. If cultivating the careers of emerging and established artists excites you then read on. The successful candidate will enjoy promoting and selling limited edition design and art pieces, facilitating exhibitions and collaborations both locally and internationally, and liaising with local and international partners including galleries, museums, fairs and institutions. Part of the job is the promotion of South Africa as a destination for manufacture and collaboration. The perfect candidate would have a senior art gallery background, several years of selling, curating etc with a relevant contemporary aesthetic and personality. This role has great potential for the ideal, experienced candidate to be considered for a Director. We’re looking for the perfect fit of someone who will represent the gallery on the front line, deal with important clients, artists and designers etc. It is a fairly nuanced role. Style, confidence and a passion for taking South African art to a global audience will give you the edge – apply today!
- Strategising, developing and maintaining the gallery’s remit in collaboration with the gallery founders, and ensuring the smooth running of the gallery
- Creative and curatorial work, alongside the creative team
- Promoting and selling artists’ work, through the gallery, exhibitions, fairs and digitally – including commission structures, discount negotiations and developing new sales strategies
- Managing and extending the client databases including leads administration and global research
- Maintaining close working relationships with established artists from the gallery’s stable and developing relationships with new artists to the gallery
- House visits and assisting clients with appraisals on artworks and special commissions
- Negotiating with gallery managers and curators from other galleries to arrange loans
- Working with international partners on exhibitions, manufacturing, shared artists, exchanges etc.
- International Fair applications and management
- Curation and management of international online platform product listings
- Assisting with the cataloguing of artworks and managing records and archives including working on the Art Galleria digital system
- General administration, budgeting, finance and accounts in coordination with other departments
- Maintaining on-going promotion through events, messaging and activations, working alongside the communications department
- Working with the logistics department to ensure safe transport of goods for sales and international exhibitions
- Managing any assistant staff, including scheduling and briefing on technical and artistic matters relating to programming
- This is a broad overview of duties and responsibilities, however additional specific needs directly related to the position will arise and these would be included in the job requirement.
The successful candidate must have/be:
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to engage authentically with clients and artists
- Experience working in a gallery, or experience working at a luxury brand/company and must have been client facing. Could be someone who has worked for an interior designer, but knows quality, is creative, efficient, has been client facing and has worked with budgets and quoting
- Creative vision and an understanding of the art world
- Sales negotiation skills, in person and via email, including numeracy and analytical skills
- Functional computer literacy including excel calculations and digital sales systems
- Flexibility for travel, locally and internationally, with fair notice
- Ability to problem solve, multi-task and work under pressure
- Fastidious attention to detail, record keeping and accuracy
- Independent working methods requiring decision-making, responsibility and accountability
- Big picture thinking with an understanding of the overall brand identities and goals
- Deep appreciation of art
- Ambitious and energetic
- Able to work one Saturday a month
- Able to travel internationally (when things open up)
- Keen to grow
- Able to deal with important clients
- Well-presented, eloquent, smart and confidently able to be the face and identity of the gallery.
Should you not receive a response within two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
JOB REFERENCE CODE: #Mich1442